Texas Recycles Day
The Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) and Capitol Area Technology are partnering up next month to provide Austinite’s and local businesses an opportunity to recycle their old computers, and electronics in a environmentally conscious manner.
Very few people realize the full impact that used electronics can have on the environment if not disposed of properly, and we are taking full advantage of this event to promote our new Electronics Recycling program that allows Austinite’s and local businesses to recycle their used electronics free of charge!
Here are a few facts about Electronics Recycling that may surprise you:
- Recycling aluminum uses saves 90% of energy of mining new aluminum.
- Only 13.6% of disposed e‐waste was recycled in 2007 and 2008.
- In 2009, we generated 3.19 million tons of e‐waste in the U.S. Of this amount, only 600,000 tons or 17.7 % was recycled, according to the EPA (up from 13.6 in 2008). The rest was trashed – in landfills or incinerators.
- 68% of consumers stockpile used or unwanted computer equipment in their homes.
- Compared to disposal, computer reuse creates 296 more jobs per for every 10,000 tons of material disposed each year
For more information regarding the event, or if you would like to coordinate an Electronics Recycling event in your neighborhood please contact us- we can’t wait to hear from you!
All statistics courtesy of Electronics Takeback